Here are the links from the Second Edition of the Handbook. See the Influencing and fundraising category for recent blog posts. Links to online resources to follow!
- Citation Capture Research Project. Research Libraries UK, JISC and the National Archives are researching academic citations to special collections items.
Examples and case studies
- 100 Objects Bradford, http://100objectsbradford.wordpress.com.
- Aberdeen University’s new library, www.abdn.ac.uk/library/about/main.
- Derry and Raphoe Diocesan Library, www.derryraphoelibrary.org/index.html.
- Designation Scheme, www.artscouncil.org.uk/supporting-collections-and-archives/designation-scheme.
- Lambeth Palace Library Back-a-Book, www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/content/backabook.
- Mingana Collection of Middle Eastern Manuscripts, Designation and link to the Virtual Manuscript Room,
- Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL), www.pacscl.org.
- Utah Ski Archives, www.lib.utah.edu/collections/ski-archives.
Some organisations which fund Special Collections
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, www.mellon.org.
- AMARC, www.amarc.org.uk.
- Archives Revealed, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/finding-funding/archives-revealed – new! replaces the Cataloguing Grants Scheme. Blog post about the Scheme.
- Art Fund, www.artfund.org.
- Cataloguing Grants Scheme, replaced by Archives Revealed.
- CLIR (digitizing hidden collections), www.clir.org.
- Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, www.esmeefairbairn.org.uk.
- Friends of the National Libraries, www.friendsofnationallibraries.org.uk.
- Heritage Lottery Fund, www.hlf.org.uk.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services, www.imls.gov/index.shtm.
- Kickstarter, www.kickstarter.com.
- Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources, www.loc.gov/teachers/tps.
- National Endowment for the Humanities, www.neh.gov.
- National Heritage Memorial Fund (UK), http://search.hlf.org.uk/nhmfweb/aboutthenhmf.
- National Historical Publications and Records Commission, www.archives.gov/nhprc.
- National Manuscripts Conservation Trust (UK), www.nmct.co.uk/index.html.
- Pilgrim Trust, www.thepilgrimtrust.org.uk/index.php.
- PRISM Fund, www.artscouncil.org.uk/funding/prism.
- Research Councils UK, www.rcuk.ac.uk.
- Rothschild Foundation, www.rothschildfoundation.eu.
- Sloan Foundation, www.sloan.org.
- Wellcome Trust, www.wellcome.ac.uk.
- Wolfson Foundation, www.wolfson.org.uk.
Help with fund-raising
- 501(c) (3) information, www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Charitable-Organizations/Exemption-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations.
- Arts and Business (UK), http://artsandbusiness.org.uk.
Association of Cultural Enterprises, https://acenterprises.org.uk.
- Directory of Social Change (publications on trusts and other funders), www.dsc.org.uk.
- Foundation Center (Foundation Directory online, etc.), http://foundationcenter.org/find-funding.
- Grants.gov (guide to US federal grants), www07.grants.gov.
- Heritage Funding Directory, www.heritagelink.org.uk/fundingdirectory/main/fundinghome.php.
- Museum Store Association, https://museumstoreassociation.org.
Metrics, impact and advocacy
- ALA advocacy bibliography, www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/issues/marketing/advocacy%20bibliograph.pdf.
- ALMA (UK) Archives, Libraries and Museums Alliance, toolkits to help demonstrate economic impact, https://almauk.org.
- Archival Metrics, www.archivalmetrics.org/node/10.
- CILIP Impact Toolkit (members only), www.cilip.org.uk/membership/benefits/virtual-learning-environment-vle/impact-toolkit.
- CILIP RBSCG advocating the role of a rare books librarian, www.cilip.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/advocating%20the%20role%20of%20a%20rare%20books%20librarian.pdf.
- Impact of Social Sciences (London School of Economics blog on impact from academic perspective), http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences.
- REF database of impact case studies, http://impact.ref.ac.uk.
- Voices for the Library, www.voicesforthelibrary.org.uk. Sadly this volunteer-run campaign announced its closure in October 2017. The website remains live for the time being and is still recommended as a useful resource for library advocacy.
- When the Data hits the Fan! (blog about impact of digitized resources), http://simon-tanner.blogspot.com.