Here are the links from the Second Edition of the Handbook. See the Influencing and fundraising category for recent blog posts. Links to online resources to follow!
Examples and case studies
- 100 Objects Bradford, http://100objectsbradford.wordpress.com.
- Aberdeen University’s new library, www.abdn.ac.uk/library/about/main.
- Derry and Raphoe Diocesan Library, www.derryraphoelibrary.org/index.html.
- Designation Scheme, www.artscouncil.org.uk/supporting-collections-and-archives/designation-scheme.
- Lambeth Palace Library Back-a-Book, www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/content/backabook.
- Mingana Collection of Middle Eastern Manuscripts, Designation and link to the Virtual Manuscript Room,
- Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL), www.pacscl.org.
- Utah Ski Archives, www.lib.utah.edu/collections/ski-archives.
Some organisations which fund Special Collections
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, www.mellon.org.
- AMARC, www.amarc.org.uk.
- Archives Revealed, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/finding-funding/archives-revealed – new! replaces the Cataloguing Grants Scheme. Blog post about the Scheme.
- Art Fund, www.artfund.org.
- Cataloguing Grants Scheme, replaced by Archives Revealed.
- CLIR (digitizing hidden collections), www.clir.org.
- Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, www.esmeefairbairn.org.uk.
- Friends of the National Libraries, www.friendsofnationallibraries.org.uk.
- Heritage Lottery Fund, www.hlf.org.uk.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services, www.imls.gov/index.shtm.
- Kickstarter, www.kickstarter.com.
- Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources, www.loc.gov/teachers/tps.
- National Endowment for the Humanities, www.neh.gov.
- National Heritage Memorial Fund (UK), http://search.hlf.org.uk/nhmfweb/aboutthenhmf.
- National Historical Publications and Records Commission, www.archives.gov/nhprc.
- National Manuscripts Conservation Trust (UK), www.nmct.co.uk/index.html.
- Pilgrim Trust, www.thepilgrimtrust.org.uk/index.php.
- PRISM Fund, www.artscouncil.org.uk/funding/prism.
- Research Councils UK, www.rcuk.ac.uk.
- Rothschild Foundation, www.rothschildfoundation.eu.
- Sloan Foundation, www.sloan.org.
- Wellcome Trust, www.wellcome.ac.uk.
- Wolfson Foundation, www.wolfson.org.uk.
Help with fund-raising
- 501(c) (3) information, www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Charitable-Organizations/Exemption-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations.
- Arts and Business (UK), http://artsandbusiness.org.uk.
Association of Cultural Enterprises, https://acenterprises.org.uk.
- Directory of Social Change (publications on trusts and other funders), www.dsc.org.uk.
- Foundation Center (Foundation Directory online, etc.), http://foundationcenter.org/find-funding.
- Grants.gov (guide to US federal grants), www07.grants.gov.
- Heritage Funding Directory, www.heritagelink.org.uk/fundingdirectory/main/fundinghome.php.
- Museum Store Association, https://museumstoreassociation.org.
Metrics, impact and advocacy
- ALA advocacy bibliography, www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/issues/marketing/advocacy%20bibliograph.pdf.
- ALMA (UK) Archives, Libraries and Museums Alliance, toolkits to help demonstrate economic impact, https://almauk.org.
- Archival Metrics, www.archivalmetrics.org/node/10.
- CILIP Impact Toolkit (members only), www.cilip.org.uk/membership/benefits/virtual-learning-environment-vle/impact-toolkit.
- CILIP RBSCG advocating the role of a rare books librarian, www.cilip.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/advocating%20the%20role%20of%20a%20rare%20books%20librarian.pdf.
- Impact of Social Sciences (London School of Economics blog on impact from academic perspective), http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences.
- REF database of impact case studies, http://impact.ref.ac.uk.
- Voices for the Library, www.voicesforthelibrary.org.uk. Sadly this volunteer-run campaign announced its closure in October 2017. The website remains live for the time being and is still recommended as a useful resource for library advocacy.
- When the Data hits the Fan! (blog about impact of digitized resources), http://simon-tanner.blogspot.com.