Here are the links from the first edition of the printed Handbook, last checked April 2016. See also the posts in the Understanding Objects category.
Examples and case studies cited in the Handbook
- Artists’ Book Collection at the University of Wisconsin
- Artists’ Books Online ‘a repository of facsimiles, metadata and criticism’
- Auchinleck Manuscript
- British Library Database of Bookbindings
- British Library Diamond Sutra
- British Library Kelmscott Chaucer
- Cambridge University Library Incunabula Project
- Cambridge University Library Tower Project
- Codex Sinaiticus
- John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera
- Macclesfield Psalter
- National Art Library at the Victoria and Albert Museum
- National Library of Medicine copy of Hooke’s Micrographia
- Plain and Simple to Grand and Glorious
- Private lives of books
- Provenance exhibition at Glasgow
- Unregulated Printing (private presses)
- ARLIS (visual arts and design librarians),
- Association for Manuscripts and Archives in Research Collections
- Association for Recorded Sound Collections
- Association of Moving Image Archivists
- Bibliographical Society, other societies listed here
- Book-arts L listserv
- Bookplate Society
- British Library Illuminated Manuscripts Glossary
- Catalogue of Digitized Medieval Manuscripts Link still works, but site has been retired and catalogue records no longer present. Replacement resources to follow.
- Centre for Ephemera Studies
- Consortium of European Research Libraries (CERL)
- Digital Scriptorium
- Early Book Society
- Ephemera Societies (UK), and (US)
- HoBo, History of the Book events Link still works, but site is no longer updated.
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives
- Le Manuscrit médiéval
- LIBER Manuscript Librarians Group
- Plastics Historical Society
- Society for History of Authorship, Reading and Printing
- Subject Guide to Audio Preservation/Restoration Link no longer works. Replacement resources to follow.
- Victoria and Albert Museum
Online resources cited in the Bibliography
- Association of Moving Image Archivists (n.d.) Storage Standards and Guidelines for Film and Videotape
- Belanger, T. (1977) Descriptive Bibliography. In Peters, J. (ed.) Book Collecting: a modern guide, Bowker, excerpt on Bibliographical Society of America website
- Burnley, D. and Wiggins, A. (eds) (2003) The Auchinleck Manuscript, National Library of Scotland
- CILIP Working Party on Ephemera (2003) Ephemera: the stuff of history. The original link is broken and I cannot find this document online elsewhere.
- Clark, S. (2009) Photographic Material, BLPAC, rev. edn
- Clark, S. and Frey, F. (2003) Care of Photographs, ECPA
- Harris, N. (2004) An Alternative Prospectus, Institut d’histoire du livre
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (2005) The Safeguarding of the Audio Heritage: Ethics, Principles and Preservation Strategy, Version 3
- Lambert, S. (2008) Making the Most of Your Plastics, Plastics SSN
- Lee, D. M. (2009) Film and Sound Archives in Non-specialist Repositories, Best Practice Guideline, Society of Archivists
Detailed bibliographies and lists of links
• CILIP Rare Books and Special Collections Group list of links. Currently not available, link to follow if and when it is reinstated.
• RBMS Bibliographic Standards Subcommittee web resources for the rare books
• reading lists from the Rare Book School and London Rare Books School (these courses are highly recommended for gaining indepth understanding of rare books, manuscripts and other Special Collections formats!).